Thursday, April 7, 2011

Simplicity and innocence of gone days...

      5 rupees.. The video was so beautifully made.. Captured the emotions so beautifully.. Simple story yet I could 'nthelp feeling the anxiety.. The love.. The fear.. The joy..


      I have always had this soft corner for the rural story.. One thing about them is that they are so human.. No pretence like the urban ones.. When there is a child involved, could the emotions be any less honest?? The video took me back to the times I used to watch Malgudi days.. Stories which never can be forgotten.. Be it the naughty tales of Swami and his friends.. Be it the story of a poor man willing to sell his kidney for money and when he does he thinks of buying a pen for his daughter.. Be it the story of a 5 year old brilliant dancer who is plain scared when her parents talk to directors who wish to cast the girl in movies.. The girl is readied with make up which she hates.. She hides in the basket when the guests come.. When the director spots her and asks her , "Beti cinema pasand hai?" she innocently replies, "Nahi waha bahut andhera hota hai"... The naked feelings of apprehensions..


      Having a translation is great but hadn't it been there I would still understand what the child went through... Because I went through the same state while watching the video and there in lies the beauty of this work..


       Kids always find a way to melt my heart.. The boy in this video, I would like to believe his name was "Swami" because he has the same charm and eloquence of Swami from Malgudi days although a stark contrast being that this boy is obedient.
.
       When he doesn't have money to buy the balloon and the balloon seller goes away, I feel like thrashing the balloon seller even if he was doing the practical thing..


       When his mother first refuses to give money then looking at his face asks "how much do you want you said"? I m reminded of my own mother who has uttered the same dialogue for my endless whims.. Each time I end up spending my money and ask her, she says this.. All mothers in the world are made from the same mould.. :) :)


       When the boy refuses to let of his money to his mother and gets beaten, I feel that helplessness.. That fear of not getting the money back..


       When his money is lost and he walks all the way back to search it .. rummaging his bag.. I feel that desperation.. That frustration of losing my valued thing.. I get that feeling every time I feel I have lost my journal when I can't fish it out from my bag
..
       When he waits for the balloon man to come I feel his impatience.. When he is told the balloon rate has gone up, I feel that despair of inflation..


       When he runs across the fields with his balloon, my heart leaps with joy...
       When he falls and the balloon bursts I feel the pain of heartbreak.. Of dream shattered... I m reminded of the way I felt when I was five and my balloon slipped from my hand and into the sky.. never to come back to me... I felt that tears in my eyes which were long dried since then... When he cried, I silently wept in my heart...


        I hold myself again when I see him counting the days for the next friday to buy another balloon.. I know he will save enough to buy another one.. This time he won't run across the field jumping with joy. He would be careful and take it home and show his mother,"Look ma, I got my beautiful green balloon"..




        The magic of this small 8 minute video is that it fills you with hope..


In many ways a small video symbolised life... I wish I was that simple.. I wish buying the green balloon would be all I wanted.. I wish I had the courage to pursue my dreams even after it shattered once.. I wish I was the five year child again and someone told me "there are problems bigger in life than a balloon gone up in the air"..




        I know why this video struck chords so beautifully.. It had all the feelings exposed which we mask...



                              


No comments: