Wednesday, February 9, 2011

One gets everything.. someone gets nothing...

 The building I stay in has a "pooja committee" to plan all the cultural activities.. The pooja is on this Saturday... Last sunday they happened to organise a sports day in our  builiding..
   The day started with a lot of enthusiasm.. By 10 o'clock all the participants had gathered.. Majority participants were the kids below 5 years.. The building has a majority of this population..
    The kids were accompanied by their parents( both of them there to adore their child's race, possibly the first one in the many yet to come), their water bottles, cap, etc etc all to make sure the tots had a comfortable race..
    It was quite a cute sight to see the parents cheer up their kid and the child smiling.. Few running out of their tracks and picking up the potato of the neighbouring track for potato race ( there by leaving the next child with no option but to take someone else's potato). It was quite a riot!! That grin on the face of the winning child's parents was something to look at, while the child was clueless of what he had done so great.. Amazing how these kids love the cheering.. some even ran after the race was over just to get those claps.. How much they crave attention and how much they get!! Every parent present had eyes only for his kid.. continuous cheering and some even went near the tracks to give the instructions to the kid(yeah yeah as if he is running for the country!!) and others merely for moral support.. How protected, how secure the kids feel... Just couldn't stop smiling all the time I was there..
  It was afternoon and I had to go to college for the festival.. The footover bridge is a mini shopping centre of sorts in Santacruz.. From pirated books to socks to wallpapers, you have a lot of choice. Just near the exit there sits a child not more than five.. with maimed body.. The shocking reality is that it is very clear he wasn't born that way.. He has no arms.. Everyone knows that it is a big racket but we all go about being blind to it.. The child often tries to do tricks with his feet.. He has a tin box i which sympathetic onlookers put some coins.. I kept thinking if I should put some money and make his efforts count , but I knew I m indirectly feeding the devil who has done this to that child.. I truly did feel helpless.. It's one of those times I pray harder to God to stop this injustice.. He's just a kid.. How can a human give birth to something that can do this to a small child.. He works there everyday although for limited time.. He has no protection, no security..
  One afternoon he was sleeping at his usual place with his legs placed on the wall.. My heart skipped a beat fearing the worst.. I so badly wanted to hold him close and spread a loving hand across him.. I hated being so powerless.. I couldn't go near him..
    Seeing the race in my building and smiling at those kids, suddenly the image of that child on the bridge flashed in my mind and within no time a tear welled up in my eyes.. Why is life so cruel?? One gets everything and someone gets nothing....

No comments: